Given that E17 uses binary config files, and these may get hosed without warning, it is useful to back them up after making changes.
The following shell script will do just that, via tar:
[ -d ~/.e/backup ] || mkdir -p ~/.e/backup
tar -zcf ~/.e/backup/e17-config-$(date +%F-%T).tgz ~/.e/e
Also worth noting is an improved way of using the E17 profile switching for extending battery life: put a shell script for switching to the battery profile in /etc/acpi/battery.d, and one for switching to the A/C profile in /etc/acpi/ac.d . Note that this occasionally causes E17 to crash (and take X with it), so be conservative.
- Smoke theme, Darkness startup, Slick icons
- 10 1x1 virtual desktops
- XRENDER engine with Composite disabled
- 3 profiles (AC, battery, and default)
- Run command: uxterm -bg black -fg orange -fa 'xft:Courier New' -fs 11 -hold -e
- Shelf (invisible, below windows, shrink:48, all desktops) on upper right-top (Contents: cpufreq, mixer, winselector, battery, deskshow, tclock, temperature, exalt)
- Shelf (invisible, below windows, shrink:60, all desktops) on lower left-left (Contents: Pager)
- Shelf (default, below everything, shrink:40, all desktops, auto-hide) on upper left-top (Contents: Start, IBar, Taskbar)
- Shelf (invisible, above everything, shrink:40, all desktops, auto-hide) on lower right-bottom (C0ntents: IBox)
- Shelf( default, above everything, shrink:48, desktop 0:0, auto-hide) on lower-right-right (Contents: News, Forecasts)
I should note that Forecasts doesn't seem to work at all. I also disabled the screen savers, lock, and power management as they are all a bit crashy.
The screenshot isn't much to look at.